Stanford experiment character studiesPosted: November 18, 2013
I have started painting my 2 polystyrene mannequin heads as they started to take shape I felt them coming to life to a certain extend. They reminded of a doll to some degree.These paintings below are experimentation pieces that I am doing alongside the mannequin heads. I want to practice forming the portrait and blocking out the main areas of colour.
These paintings were painted on A1 good quality paper. I find the oil works beautifully on this paper, the white spirit stains has a staining effect. After the painting were done a turned the sheet around and the oil painting seeped through the page to produce an image of its own, this can be seen below. The studies with the most layers of oil paint and white spirit in particular produced the most interesting results. This is something I could explore further within my oil painting.
Although these oil paint studies they reveal a great deal to me about the forming the final stages of my mannequins. Another issue is that the images are taken from a snapshot from a youtube video, which naturally loses some quality. However I feel this is a quality that could be quite useful as I am not trying to paint these characters The difficult aspect with transferring the painting to the mannequin is the manufactured features, they don’t relate to the actual characters I am depicting. I also feel this is an interesting aspect it magnifies the conceptual ideal that these men are not bad men, but rather it is the environment which is so powerful, it also highlights how we are all, in theory susceptible to this.
These aren’t the finished articles by no means but they are well on the way. It is quite hard to paint on the polystyrene as it has a strange texture which the paint doesn’t sit on very well. However I feel I am getting them, I need a few more layers.